Friday, 23 January 2015

Little Vintage Retro Kitchen Make Over

Hi Everyone,

well its a freezing one here today in Somerset we don't get many frost's in this part of the country but boy there is a hard frost this morning Milly, Kia and Ted did not want to go for their first early morning walk of the day but they are now snuggled and cosy in their beds :-)

I have been dying to show you something this week but had to wait well I was hoping for a shelf to go up but I am still having to wait for that so thought I would go ahead and show you my little kitchen make over. You remember I shared that on News Years Day my 60's Kitchen wall cabinet fell off the wall and smashed my cooker and most of my vintage crockery that was housed inside. Well I managed to get a new cooker from the insurance company and I thought I would go for Gas instead of Electric now I have never cooked on Gas before and I have to be honest and say I hated it for the first few days. I had to go and buy new oven trays as its a lot smaller than my other cooker and instead of having 2 ovens I now only have 1 but the fun part is that I have a pull out grill at the top :-) I don't have a microwave or a toaster I am not into to many mod cons. We have the cooker and grill for cooking food on and doing toast and if I want to defrost food I do it over night in the fridge or in a bowl of boiling water to be honest its more fun that way to. I even managed to make a Victoria sponge first time this week to so I am even more in love with it now :-) Anyway what to do now the cabinet is smashed and the wall in bad shape.... hunt and buy some vintage 1970's funky wallpaper and get my painter and decorator husband to hang it for me :-)



 
I managed to find a whole unused roll of 1970's Wallpaper in shades of orange and green. But do you know the amazing thing is its the same......


As our Vintage wallpaper that we put in our Bertie Caravan last year except Bertie's paper is orange and Blue.

So the kitchen started off like this...
 
 
 
And then looked like this...



Horrible repaired and filled in wall where my lovely cabinet used to be....


 And now it looks like this :-) 70's wall paper on the wall my new old style Gas cooker which looks and fits in much better to my vintage themed kitchen. I love the 50's but I also love the 60s and the patterns of the 70's to so my home and kitchen are a collection of all 3 decades well my take on it.




I still have my other 60's glass wall cabinet the other side as you can see here and I love it now i spend so much time in my kitchen as i love to cook and bake you can always find me making something in here if its not cakes its chutney or jam :-)


For those that have followed my over the years you know i collect Taunton Vale my clock now takes pride of place this side of the kitchen and my friend gave me this kitchen roll holder a few months ago but i never had anywhere to put it i do now :-)


I love all the designs and patterns from the 60's and 70's.


And this is the other side of my Kitchen our dining area :-) I do love it.


My little collection of vintage animal figures sits on a shelf just by the back door its rather full now but there is always room for one more when i find them :-)

I think Retro is a bit like Marmite you either love it or hate it thankfully i LOVE IT :-)


Right time for a slice of cake with my homemade Blackberry jam inside and a catch up in blogland.

Thank you for all the lovely comments on my last blog i really appreciate you taking the time to read and for leaving a comment.

Have a lovely weekend everyone,

Hugs Dee xx


 Leave you with a photo of  Milly and Kia playing in the Sea and the Surf at Saunton Sands last weekend :-) Ted was just watching from a safe distance :-)

11 comments:

  1. Hello Dee,

    Well, you have transformed your kitchen beautifully!

    Of course, it would have been better never to have had the cabinet fall from the wall, but, happily, everything has turned out wonderfully well. It looks better than before.....jolly and sunny....so important as you like to spend time in there.

    Your Victoria sandwich cake looks totally delicious and very professional. How we wish that we could pop in for afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dee

    The 1940s and 50s used to be my favourite, but now I am really into the 70s! I was born today (my birthday) in 1971 so I can remember a bit about the 70s and I hope to revisit some of those memories. Your kitchen looks lovely. I will be looking our for inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could just eat a piece of that cake right now!

    I've never been one for monochrome modern kitchens give me colour and kitsch all the way. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made the best of a bad situation, Dee, and the kitchen revamp looks fantastic! I love all your Taunton Vale and the 70s wallpaper works perfectly.
    I wish I lived close enough to pop round for a slice of cake! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous Dee...dare I say better than before(?) and look at your lovely doggies splashing around in the sea!
    I'm so glad you're blogging again x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen looks WOW! I love it, and the cake looks yummy, did you make in the new oven?
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wehey, your kitchen's looking great! Really stunning wallpaper Dee! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sad to read that your cabinet fell off the wall and took your cooker with it, but there's certainly a silver lining - You sound thrilled with your new cooker (and kitchen towel holder!) - May you have many happy hours in your cheerful re-vamped kitchen.
    :) Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you are still blogging! Love your stuff as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vintage wallpaper heaven! Hope you're ok sweetheart :) xxx

    ReplyDelete