Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Project Bertie

Hi everyone,

I know its been such a long time but thought I would drop in and write a post about our new project we are working on right now. A month ago we bought ourselves a lovely  1970's 4 berth caravan who we have called Bertie. He is very special to us being our first and we have set ourselves a target of trying to get him ready for July.

Like our home and our love for all things 50's,60's and 70's we have completely stripped him so we can have a blank canvas and fill him with all the things we love and the style that suits us best.

So please say hello to Bertie :-)



 And inside before we started ripping things out

 As you can see he was very boring and very brown.  We wanted to create more space so we decided to make him into a 2 berth instead of a 4 so we had room for Midi and Kia our Greyhounds.

So we took up the carpet and stripped out the tall cupboard and also the single chair towards the back of Bertie that would have made up into a bed. We also stripped out the kitchen sink, fridge and cooker and also the toilet.

After ripping out the large cupboard we replaced it with one of our 1960's larder cupboards that we had collected only problem being we had to build it up and around the wheel arch.



Then we stripped the kitchen unit out which consisted of the fridge, cooker and sink unit as we have decided we would like to cook outside  that way we have a little more space but can also enjoy the outside experience of cooking and preparing a meal :-)


So out came the kitchen unit to be replaced with my lovely 1950's kitchen sideboard.



Again we have had to built it up and around the wheel arch.

We are now onto the painting and have undercoated all the units and cupboards. The toilet area we have ripped out the toilet and we are going to turn it into a cupboard with hanging space for our clothes and a lovely new fridge will also go in there.

This is how Bertie is looking today


We have undercoated everything. You can see the main part of our colour scheme here a lovely shade of orange :-) I will share the vintage fabrics and other colours etc next time. You will also spy above the 50's kitchen sideboard a 1950's kitchen wall cupboard :-) I had to have one in him.

I will share the colour for the walls on this post though..


I have managed to buy 2 full roles of 1970's original wallpaper made by crown this will be going on all the wall's of Bertie and also on the door so when its wide open you get a nice taste of what's inside :-)

I have been busy making cushions and curtains from vintage fabrics and also making some pretty crochet items to but will share those next time. I have also been having fun buying lots of lovely vintage accessories for him again I will share those soon.

So does this mean I am back I am not sure will just run this post and see how I feel.

Have a lovely week everyone,

Hugs dee xx

13 comments:

  1. I love vintage caravans. The seventies was the golden age of caravanning. Can't wait to see the finished product x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I hope you come back, I have missed your lovely posts. Bertie is quite the van and I cant wait to see him when he is all finished. You are going to have some amazing adventures in him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So brilliant to see your name pop up on my list and thank you for your lovely comment. So good to have you back, even if it is only fleetingly!
    You 2 are unstoppable with Bertie's make-over. I am quite envious! Not sure it'd work for us...we'd just have to have one parked up outside on the road. I don't even know if that's allowed?? And round here someone'd probably nick/trash it!
    My pipe dream is to do out a narrow boat a la Cath Kidston-esque. I can't drive but I can pilot one of those!! Or just keep it in a marina! (Easy option!!)
    Much love
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie is looking wonderful so far. I do hope you will pop back and share him again in all his 70's glory. Great idea with the outdoor cooking and removing the loo I think.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo how exciting - Bertie is looking lovely :)

    My Bertie now belongs to friends and he's had a sex-change and is called Gertie and is very pink and pretty inside!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon and I were ooohing and ahhing over him on Facebook!" He's lovely on the outside and getting gorgeous inside, too. Love the colour and that you've used one of your beloved larders in there, too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bertie looks like an exciting project! I can't wait to see it all finished in true Dee style. What a fun way to travel & holiday. So pleased for your son playing in that band too. That's great news considering the battles he's faced. Much love. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Bertie is already looking fab, and he'll be even better when he's all finished! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is great to see you back. My wife and I had something similar to the Bertie that we hauled from Nova Scotia to Manitoba one summer. It is one of our fondest memories. I sure hope this means you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dee
    I hope you and your family are doing well. Lovely to hear from you!

    What an exciting project.

    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how exciting. What a terrific project. The pups will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's amazing. Very jealous.

    ReplyDelete